Jobs and Life In West Palm Beach, Florida Essay
Information and Service Jobs in the 21st Century
West Palm Beach, Florida has been extoled as one of the Top 25 Best Large American Cities for Jobs and Business Ownership in the United States. west Palm Neach, like many other large citites in the US, has trended toward a Service and Knowledge Economy. Along with this, green collar occupations have increased while some occupations have decreased, including some construction and trades jobs.
In the year 2007, Service Occupations increased by +2.0 percent and grew faster in Palm Beach County than in Florida overall.
Information Technology (IT), Government Occupations, Education & Training, Travel Nursing and related occupations, Professional Services, and Business Services increased overall and offer the most job growth through at least 2016 in West Palm Beach.
New Companies Move to West Plam Beach
West Palm Beach is a vacation and resort spot that draws new retail companies as well as additional service occuations. On newer copany to the area is H & M, a retailer of affordable fashions and accessories. In fact, before the grand opening of the store in CityPlace mall in mid-October 2013, a line was forming for admittance, much like a movie house.
Another newer company, Demeter Power, received $500,000 in 2013 with which to retrofit its facilities with solar power.
Healthcare services and medical devices are on the increase in the areas as well. An elementary school youngster in West Palm Beach was recently fitted with a prosthetic elbow that will allow him to pursue his dream of playing the violin. Prosthetics comprise a growing segment of the Medical Device Industry.
IT and web development companies like Mediasophia continue to produce new products to serve their clients.
- City Place
Downtown Mall and gathering place stores, dining, 20-Screen Theater, nightclub, stage, comedy club.
- Palm Beach Parks
Dozens of parks in one county, including a Japanese Museum and Gardens.
Palm Beach Links
- Visitors Bureau
City and County information, attractions, nightlife locations, transportation, other.
Top 10 Fastest Growing Jobs in West Palm Beach
Government databases show that the following list cotnains the Top 20 fast-growing jobs in the area of West Palm Beach.
Out of all 20 of the Top 20 Jobs, over half of them pay more than $25.00 per hour. Nearly 70% of these high-paying jobs require the employee to have at least post high-school training of a vocational certificate or 2-year Associate Degree. Some require upwards to a Master’s Degree.
TOP 10 FASTEST GROWING JOBS (Salary ranges $14+ to $52 per hour)
- Computer Software Engineers, Systems
- Computer Software Engineers, Applications
- Network Systems and Data Communications
- Database Administrators
- Health and other Environmental Science Techs
- Medical Assistants
- Kindergarten Teachers (mainstream)
- Medical Records and Health Information Techs
- Computer Systems Analysts
- Computer and Information Systems Managers
Top Fast-Growing Jobs – Numbers 11 to 20
The second half of the Top 20 list include occupations directly involved in the industries of Education and Training (including Professional Development), Information Technology, Wellness, Fitness and Health; and Public Relations.
The following jobs offer salary ranges from $13+ to $43 per hour:
- 11. Secondary Schools Teachers (mainstream)
- 12. Management Analysts
- 13. Self-Enrichment Teachers
- 14. Fitness and Aerobics trainers
- 15. Elementary School Teachers (mainstream)
- 16. PR Specialists
- 17. Network and Systems Administrators
- 18. Computer Suppport Staff
- 19. Pre-School Teachers (mainstream) – [lowest wages in the list at $13.21] – This indicates an increase in adult population and births.
- 20. Training and Development Specialists
Healthcare Training Programs
The youth of west Palm Beach County, both those enrolled in High school, adn those that have graduated, dropped our, or are enrolled in GED programs can take advantage of training programs in the Information Technology (IT) and Healthcare Industries, as well as others:
- Academy for Practical Nursing and Health Occupations(APNHO)
- Henkels & McCoy, Inc. TechBridgeTM
- Gulfstream Goodwill Industries
Entry Level and Other Jobs with High Vacancies
The following occupations consistently offer large numbers of job openings and are expected to continue to do so through 2016.
Some are entry level positions that can be a start for a successful climb up a well-planned career ladder.
Ongoing Professional Development is a key for accomplishing that success.
- Registered Nurses (RNs) – includes Travel Nursing, 4-year degree not necessary.
- Retail Sales Staff
- Wait Staff and Food Preparation
- Landscaping & Groundskeeping
West Palm Beach workforce development (WIA) or “jobs” offices can connect workers with training classes for specific job openings in the area.
- County and Local Schools Boards
- Local, County and Federal Governments
- Hospital Corporation of America – Healthcare
- Office Depot Home Office
- Boca Raton Resort & Club
- U.S. Sugar Corporation
- Palm Beach Newspapers
- Pratt & Whitney Rocketdyne – Aerospace
- NCCI – Insurance and actuarial
Local Business Schools
The following schools offer vocational certificates, AA’s, and 4-year degrees for people that want to focus on management and administration careers.
- Florida Atlantic University
- Digital Media Arts College
- Everglades University
- Keiser Career College
- Keiser University formerly Keiser College
- Lynn University
- New England Institute of Technology
- Northwood University
- Palm Beach Atlantic College Rinker School of Business.
- Palm Beach Community College
- South University – West Palm Beach Campus
West Palm Beach Sports Teams
- Roger Dean Stadium – Spring training by a number of different baseball teams each year.
- Palm Beach Pumas – United Soccer Leagues PDL
- Trump International Golf Club
- North American Polo League
- Palm Beach Polo Equestrian Club
- Croquet Foundation of America
- Palm Beach Kennel Club and Entertainment Complex – Greyhound and horse racing,a s well as other activities and events.