Nowadays, there is a really vital necessity to have strong communicative skills. Pupils should start practicing discussions and debates since the school years. It is extremely interesting to analyze some issues, compare the facts and create a joint project. Well, in this article we are going to show you several appropriate debate topics that may be thought-provoking for high school or college students.
General Information about the Debates
As we know, you need some components in order to make an exciting debate. At first, you or your team should choose the topic. Having answered the following questions, it can be easier to find the best debate topic.
- What are you into?
- Do you know any intriguing topics that will definitely be interesting to explore?
The next step is a consideration, whether your audience would benefit from the deep topic elicitation of both sides of the issue. In conclusion, summarize all the information and start preparing profoundly. If you can`t decide what debate topic to choose, this article may be very useful for you.
Study our ideas, please, and you can possibly enjoy some of them.
Thrilling Debate Topics for a Productive Discussion
There is a great variety of issues that may be discussed in the debate club. You might choose any debate topics that can be connected with the concepts of social studies, politics, education, philosophy, etc. Here below you may get familiar with several examples of debate matters that can be deliberated on.
You may modify some questions or create any topic that may be of public interest.
- Can freedom be complete?
- Does a student have to work part-time?
- Does advertising deserve to be trusted?
- Is the Internet an alternative to reality?
- Homeless animals: what should we do?
- How many foreign languages do modern people need to know?
- Does cloning have a future?
- Is it possible to judge a person`s intellectuality by his/ her speech?
- Career building in the modern world.
- Does tourism do more harm than benefits for society?
- Does morality depend on culture?
- Is the use of animals in scientific research unjustifiable?
- Does UFO exist?
- Do TV and print media need sensationalism in their news reporting?
- Are those who do not learn from their mistakes doomed to repeat them?
- Are men and women equal to perform any work?
- Is watching television harmful to mental health?
- Do we have contemporary intergenerational conflicts?
- Does the general globalization have more advantages or disadvantages?
- Big Bang Theory, is it truth or fiction?
- E-books or printed ones?
- Should a digital school, environment, and generation be?
- Advertising should not be aimed at children, should it?
- Does fashion matter?
- Are we too dependent on computers?
- Do video games make people cruel and indifferent?
- Is the client always right?
- Are the dreams a link between a real-world and an imaginary one?
- Does life on other planets exist?
- Global warming – what should we do?
- Does music influence plant growth?
- Organic farming: pros and cons.
- Positive and negative peer influence.
- Can people change their habits?
- The influence of music on the mind and brain.
- Homeschooling vs traditional schools.
- Is sport as important as studies?
- Can robots replace teachers?
- The testing system at school: pros and cons.
- Is safety more important than freedom?
- Is talent a guarantee of success?
- Are freedom and independence the same things?
- Does a really enlightened and educated person never wage a war?
- If you were allowed to take only three things to a desert island, what would you choose?
- What does a person`s happiness consist of?
- Is it possible to protect your personal information?
- How does the cinematography transform the culture?
- Pros and cons of social networking sites.
- Is animal testing justified?
Funny Debate Topics
Discussion topics may not always be serious or official. The right variant is also to choose some positive and amusing dilemma and try to discuss it.
Anyway, it might be the mood booster as well as help to get concentrated on particular sides of the problem. So, here are some possible debate topics for fun:
- What is the best pet to have?
- Which food is more delicious: pizza or sandwiches?
- Do humans eat to live or vice versa?
- Do the aliens really exist?
- Which is the most favorite season of the year and why?
Basic Preparation for the Debates
The debates usually require sufficient organizational and information training, which may include the following steps:
- A meeting of the participants in the upcoming debate, team building, and ways to prepare for the debates;
- Formulation of the debate topic that should be the most important for the participants;
- Independent work of the team members on forming the system of arguments, determining the ways to support from the team to the speaker that is necessary to justify the correctness of the chosen position, search and selection of materials which you need for the discussion, etc.;
- Presentation of the prepared material, its discussion, distribution of roles among the participants;
- Conducting the debates;
- Summing up the debates.
An important point in the preparation of the debates is the definition of the theme. It should be relevant and at the same time controversial and interesting enough. It is also substantial that the opponents have significant differences in their understanding of the topic. The topic is often formulated as a question. It may be versatile and engrossing. In any case, the wording of the topic should attract the attention of the audience.
The organizers ought to determine the place and time of the discussion, its regulations, invite the refereeing team and media representatives (if it is necessary) in advance. It is desirable that the venue of the debates would be convenient for both participants and guests.
The result of the debate is largely determined by the participants` information training. So, it makes no sense to enter into a dispute without being prepared. It is necessary to carefully study the available information on the topic, make at least a brief plan of the speech, select the most important arguments, and, if necessary, use the proven digital data.
It is also useful to study the opponents` policy documents (if it is possible) to identify the weaknesses and strengths in their positions. It is advisable to watch several TV programs with debates, observe the presenter`s, opponents` and participants` behavior. These observations will help you to develop a line of conduct in the debates.
It is also possible to have a sample type of training, such as conducting pilot debates. You should also notice that you have to be prepared efficiently. Thus, you should see both sides and make a list of the pros and cons of the issue. The statements may support and oppose the arguments. Well, you should be prepared for the rational arguments against your position. That is why you have to be aware of the issue in detail.
Conducting the Debates
The debate takes place according to a preconceived scenario, which may include the next elements:
- The opening moderator`s word that specifies the subject of the debate, the participants` names and the rules of the meeting;
- The participants` speech, outlining their positions on the topic of debates;
- The opponents` cross-questions, i.e. questions that are addressed to each other;
- Questions to the participants by the listeners;
- Discussion of the given arguments with the opponents` and listeners` participation;
- the opponents` brief final word;
- announcement of the judge`s decision;
- the moderator`s final word.
Naturally, this scheme may vary, depending on the different organizational process, so that try to get familiar with the variant of conducting the debates in your institution.
The opponents` speeches are the central points of the debates. To be successful, any speech must be based not only on a set of proven facts but also on their analysis and logical reasoning. Let us interpret how the famous French mathematician and philosopher Blaise Pascal noted on this occasion: “It is not space or time, that we cannot fill, elevate us, but it is our thought. Let us learn to think well. “
The opponents prepare for the debate approving and refuting speeches. The first to state its position is the approving party. The denying party presents the opposite position. These two speeches should present all of the main arguments.
In the next stage of the debates, the participants seek to refute the arguments of the opposing side and protect their own from “attacks” by the opponents. While doing so, it is important to respond to all criticisms without excluding some individual details. However, at this stage of the discussion, it is not recommended to give new arguments. You should also know that any misunderstanding might occur in the process of debating. So, any opinion must be reasoned; references to personal opinion or individual experience are not the arguments.
We should tolerate others` opinions and be friendly and polite. Try to make your arguments sound convincing, speak in-depth and avoid churning out the points. Of course, there is a place for nervousness, but try to calm down and not to show it.
Please, remember that people are truly intrigued and interested in what you are going to say. You are meeting in order to exchange opinions and views on some important issues as well as to make the audience think you are right.
Anyway, it is really an interesting way to practice public speaking and develop your communicative skills. The debates may help you to find your persuasive voice, broaden the mind and think logically. So, you may try to choose a debate topic and start debating. You may become involved with this process.
Good luck to you and you should know that the process itself is supposed to be important. So, never worry about the first failures. Everything will be OK with getting some experience and asking for professional consultation. Take pleasure from what you do and your debates will be useful for everyone and definitely successful!